25 Days of Christmas: Day 21 – 2016 Yamaha PW50
Santa Claus is willing to bet this is where it all started for an awful lot of you. If you look back at almost any home movies from current and past motocross champions, most of them are of riding around the yard on a Yamaha PW50 while parents scream into the camera’s mic. It’s probably THE best place to start.
When Santa was a young lad, he would wait patiently for those two glorious weeks when the snow would be melted and you could strip down to a single snowmobile suit and tear up the tundra at the North Pole. Ahh yes, the good old days.
You know you’re getting one of these things for your kid, so why fight it?!
Click HERE to find the dealer nearest you.
From: Yamaha Motor Canada
One of the industry’s best-selling mini-bikes, the PW50 is a fantastic entry-level bike designed to help young riders learn the ropes at an affordable price.
Air-cooled, 49cc, reed-valve, 2-stroke single is mildly tuned to deliver predictable power that gently eases the new rider up the off-road learning curve.
/// Rider Confidence
Class-lowest 485mm (19.1″) seat height creates a handling-enhancing low centre of gravity and allows most riders to put both feet on the ground for added confidence.
- Air-cooled, 49cc, reed-valve, 2-stroke single is mildly tuned to deliver predictable power that gently eases the new rider up the off-road learning curve.
- Mikuni VM12SC carb
- easy access handlebar / dash mounted choke lever
- good fuel economy
- crisp throttle response
- Reed-valve intake system.
- smooths power delivery
- widens the power band
- Single-speed fully automatic transmission.
- twist the throttle & go operation
- allows young riders to concentrate on the basics of riding without worrying about clutching & shifting
- Shaft drive system.
- virtually maintenance-free
- comes fully enclosed for added protection & durability
- no chain to worry about adjusting or lubricating
- Exclusive Autolube Oil Injection System.
- eliminates the need & hassle of fuel/oil premixing
- system precisely meters the exact amount of oil required by the engine
- Easy access, washable foam air filter reduces tune-up costs.
- Maintenance-free capacitor discharge ignition (CDI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Lightweight, exhaust system with heat shields.
- quiet design
- exhaust pipe has been routed away the from the rider to avoid accidental contact burns
- “cleanable” screen-type spark arrestor
- heat shields protect young riders from hot components
- Rugged steel backbone-type frame
- Class-lowest 485mm (19.1″) seat height
- creates a handling-enhancing low centre of gravity
- allows most riders to put both feet on the ground for added confidence
- 22mm telescopic front fork with 60mm (2.4″) of travel smooths out the bumps.
- Dual rear shock suspension with 50mm (2″) of wheel travel
- Front and rear drum brakes
- provide strong stopping power
- hand-operated brake levers are similar to those used on bicycles for familiarity
- Durable, mag-style wheels
- no need to tighten or replace damaged spokes
- easy to clean too!
- Knobby tires
- provide good traction in the dirt
- Specially designed one-piece rear fender, side panels & seat.
- easily removed for cleaning or maintenance
- Rugged plastic body components.
- resist damage in the event of a tip-over
- YZ inspired front & side number plates for that big bike look
- Team Yamaha-inspired colour & graphics
/// SAFETY FEATURES
- Heat shields on engine & exhaust protect young riders from hot components.
- Adjustable speed limiter screw on throttle housing restricts acceleration & top speed.
- Removable exhaust pipe restrictor allows parents to increase top speed as skills improve.
- Start/Run switch prevents unit from moving while in the start position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Adult supervision and proper protective riding gear, including a helmet, are a must when a youngster is operating a PW50.